Low-Carb Sheet-Pan Chicken Drumsticks Roasted with Oranges, Onions and Rosemary
Here’s a wonderful Mediterranean meal and great Mediterranean diet recipe for sheet pan chicken that’s easy and tasty. Chicken is a go-to Mediterranean diet food protein because it’s so convenient and there are, truth be told, so many great chicken recipes across the region, it’s hard to choose. The deliciously pungent Greek garlic, Greek olive oil, sea salt and thyme that are all gifts of the Greek earth make this dish even more delicious. But oranges steal the show, and give these humble drumsticks their finger-licking-good flavor.
- 8 to 12 chicken legs
- 2 red onions peeled and cut into 6 or 8 wedges each
- 6 Greek garlic cloves in brine finely chopped, or 6 regular garlic cloves, also finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- ½ teaspoon coriander seeds crushed in a spice grinder or mortar and pestle
- ½ cup Greek extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of half a fresh orange
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons dried Greek mountain thyme
- 6 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 1 orange cut into slices
Preheat the oven to 375F/180C and line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
In a large stainless steel or glass mixing bowl, place the chicken legs and onion wedges. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
In a smaller bowl, whisk together the mustard, olive oil, orange juice, coriander, garlic, additional salt and pepper and thyme. Pour this over the chicken and onions and toss to coat.
Place the chicken legs and onions on the sheet pan in a single layer. Tuck the orange wedges and rosemary sprigs between the chicken and onions. Roast uncovered, turning once or twice, for about 45 minutes, or until the chicken legs are tender and their meat falling off the bone.
Love chicken? Check out my online class “Wing It! – Great Mediterranean Chicken!“
Want to learn more easy, healthy Mediterranean diet recipes? Sign up for my online course “Mastering the Mediterranean!“