Greek Easter Cookies - Koulourakia tis Lambris
These are the classic braided Easter cookies that are a tradition on every Greek table.
- 3 ½ cups / 450 g bread flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ tsp. Salt
- 6 ½ ounces / 185 g butter
- 1 cup / 200 g sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup Milk
- Grated orange zest
- Grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Egg yolk and 2 tbs orange juice for glaze
- Sesame seeds for sprinkling
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, then add milk, zest, vanilla to combine. Add dry ingredients to liquids incrementally. Form into a dough mass. Knead until smooth and soft. This is a soft dough.
- Break off a heaping tablespoon at a time and shape into traditional “koulourakia” shapes: figure “8”; twists; braids; circles.
- Place on ungreased sheet pans, brush with glaze and sprinkle with sesame seeds and bake at 350F/170C for 15-20 minutes, or until light golden and crisp.