Fakes - Lefkada Lentil Soup
The lentils of Englouvi in Lefkada are famous all over Greece, and it wasn’t until I traveled there for season 3 of My Greek Table that I understood why. These small brown lentils cook up into a creamy, porridge-like classic Greek recipe for lentil soup that makes for the ultimate comfort food. But you can achieve a similar result with regular lentils, too, cooked a little bit longer. Extra virgin Greek olive oil is absolutely necessary to achieve that creamy texture, too!
- 2 cups lentils preferably small
- 6 - 8 whole garlic cloves
- ⅔ to 1 cup olive oil
- Salt to taste
- 3 - 4 sprigs dried Greek oregano
- Rinse the lentils in a colander under cold water.
- Place in a pot with enough water to cover by about 3 inches and add the garlic. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until the lentils are cooked and have absorbed most of the water.
- Uncover, add the oregano sprigs, and slowly add the olive oil, stirring gently, until the soup becomes thick and creamy. Add salt to taste. Serve.