Crispy Cod Pita Wrap with Yogurt Tartar Sauce
Move over gyro! This easy crispy cod sandwich will turn even the most hardened carnivore into a fish lover. You can make it with any firm-fleshed fish that stands up well to batter and hot oil. Makes a great weekend lunch! To find some of the artisinal Greek products you'll need to make this, visit my online shop here, where you'll discover a host of lovingly curated Greek ingredients.
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- One 12-ounce bottle amber beer
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 pound Greek sea bass fillets cut into 1-inch wide strips.
- 6 pita or tortilla wraps
- 1 Bibb lettuce or romaine head leaves separated and coarsely chopped
- 3 to matoes sliced
- Greek yogurt tartar sauce
- ½ Ccup mayonnaise
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoon finely chopped cornichon pickles
- 1 tablespoons chopped capers
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of ½ to 1 lemon
- Salt pepper to taste
- Whisk together all ingredients for Greek yogurt tartar. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
- Whisk together batter ingredients in a large bowl. Dip the fish strips in the batter and fry until golden and crunchy. Remove and drain on paper towels.