Tzatziki, the classic Greek yogurt-cucumber dip, has grown in stature in recent years, as chefs experiment with mixing more than just cukes into a thick bowl of Greek yogurt. Indeed, avocado and yogurt make a perfect Mediterranean diet ingredients pairing! You can play around with the herbs. Cilantro, mint, parsley, dill and basil all work equally well.
- 1 soft ripe avocado
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice and zest of half a lime
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 3 – 4 tablespoons extra virgin Greek olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint or cilantro
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Halve the avocado lengthwise. Remove the pit. Scoop out the pulp and place it in a mixing bowl. Mash it with a fork. Add the Greek yogurt, garlic, a few tablespoons of olive oil, the lime juice, mint or cilantro, and salt and pepper to taste. Whisk or mix vigorously with a fork until smooth.