Velvety Mushroom Soup with Red Wine and Greek Yogurt
This Greek recipe for mushroom soup is an adaptation of classic cream of mushroom soup, but with Greek red wine, Greek yogurt in place of the cream, and, yes, Greek dried mushrooms. Greece is a mycologicIt’s simple to prepare, easy to serve, versatile, festive but also simple enough to make every day.
- 1 cup Greek dried forest mushrooms
- 1 2- ounce packet dried morels
- ½ pound Portobello mushrooms
- ½ pound common field mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin Greek olive oil
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 3 shallots finely chopped
- 2 whole Greek garlic cloves in light brine or regular garlic cloves minced
- ½ cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme finely chopped
- 1/3 cup dry red wine such as Xinomavro or Agioghitiko
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose or almond flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Place the forest mushrooms and morels in two small separate bowls and pour in just enough warm water to cover them. Set aside for a half hour to soften. Drain, reserve the water, and drain it through a fine mesh sieve or cheesecloth to trap any dirt or sand.
Rinse the portobellos and field mushrooms quickly under cold water and pat dry. Alternatively, wipe them clean with a damp towel, without rinsing at all (it’s actually better not to rinse them). Chop.
Heat the olive oil and butter in a large pot and sauté shallots, garlic, parsley and thyme for two minutes, stirring. Add the portobellos and field mushrooms and stir to coat. Add the porcini and morels. Stir. Pour in the wine, raise the heat and as soon as the wine steams up, add the broth and strained mushroom water. Bring to a boil, season with salt and pepper, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 7-8 minutes, until the mushrooms are tender.
Using a slotted spoon, remove about half of the solid contents of the soup and puree in a food processor until smooth. Return to the pot and heat. Whisk the yogurt, cream and flour together, and add to the pot. Stir gently. Cook for another few minutes until the soup thickens slightly. Serve.