Greek Yiayia's Roasted Potatoes
- 2 pounds / 1 kilo large Yukon golds or other roasting potatoes peeled, quartered lengthwise, then halved
- 1 cup dry white wine
- ½ cup extra-virgin Greek olive oil
- ½ cup fresh strained lemon juice
- 3 tsp dried oregano or thyme
- 12 sprigs rosemary
- 4 garlic finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. smooth Dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 400°F / 230°C.
Place the potatoes in a large pot filled with cold water. Heat over medium high flame. As soon as the potatoes start to boil, simmer them for exactly 8 minutes. Strain immediately and cool slightly.
Whisk wine, oil, lemon juice, herbs, garlic and mustard together until smooth and emulsified. Place the potatoes in a baking dish large enough to hold them in one layer and pour the wine-olive oil mixture over them. Toss gently.
Bake, uncovered, for 10 minutes in a very hot oven. Reduce oven temperature to 375°F/190° C, and continue roasting the potatoes until tender and golden, abut 20 to 25 minutes.
Tip: Don’t cover the potatoes once they come out of the oven because they will turn mushy from the heat of the steam. Roast at the last minute and serve immediately.