Spanakopita Grilled Cheese
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin Greek olive oil or butter plus more as needed
- 1 large onion 4 scallions, or 1 leek, chopped (and washed well, if using leek)
- 8 cups 160 g chopped fresh spinach
- 1 cup 50 g mixed chopped fresh dill, parsley, and/or fennel fronds
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups 300 g large chunks Greek feta
- 8 ¼-inch-thick / 6 mm slices good bread, preferably sourdough
In a large, non-stick frying pan, heat half the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until soft and lightly golden. Add the spinach and cook until wilted. Remove the mixture with a slotted spoon and drain well in a colander. Let cool.
- Combine the spinach mixture with the fresh herbs. Season with the nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Mix in the feta.
- Divide the mixture over 4 slices of the bread. Place the remaining 4 slices of bread on top.
- Wipe the frying pan clean with a paper towel and heat the remaining olive oil or butter (or use both together). Add the sandwiches, one or two at a time, and cook over medium heat until golden on one side. Flip carefully and press down on the sandwich with a spatula to flatten slightly. Cover the pan and cook for a few minutes to help the feta melt more easily. Repeat with remaining sandwiches, adding more olive oil and/or butter to the pan as needed. Serve immediately.
Find a selection of great Greek olive oils and other delicious artisanal Greek foods at my online store.