Ikarian Potato Salad
Skip the mayo and make a healthy Ikaria-style potato salad! To find some of the artisinal Greek products you'll need to make this, visit my online shop here, where you'll discover a host of lovingly curated Greek ingredients.
- 1 ½ pounds / 750 g boiling potatoes peeled, washed, and quartered
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ½ cup extra virgin Greek olive oil or more, to taste
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 scallions or spring onions trimmed and cut into thin rounds
- 1 small red onion halved and sliced
- ½ cup snipped fresh dill
Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water by two inches / 5 cm. Bring to a boil over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of salt to the boiling water. Lower heat and simmer the potatoes until fork tender, about 20 minutes.
Drain the potatoes in a colander and rinse with cold water.
Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, and mustard, if using.
Toss the potatoes with the scallions, onions, and olive oil mixture. Sprinkle with fresh dill and toss gently. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper.