Ground Lamb Kebabs
- 2 pounds finely ground lamb
- 1 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 ½ cups very finely chopped or grated onion
- 3 large garlic cloves finely minced
- ½ teaspoon cayenne or more to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 8 18- inch skewers
- 8 pita breads lightly toasted or grilled, optional
- 1/3 cup extra virgin Greek olive oil
In a large bowl, combine the ground meat, onions, garlic, parsley, cayenne, salt, and pepper and knead well for about 7 or 8 minutes to combine thoroughly.
Preheat a gas grill to medium according to individual unit directions or light a charcoal fire and let it wane until the coals are covered with white ash.
Have a bowl of water set nearby to dampen the palms of your hands. With wet hands, take about one-eighth (1/4 pound) of the mixture and shape around a sausage. Dampen your hands continuously and shape the sausage into a cylinder by squeezing it along the skewer and against it, and smooth it out, again with dampened hands. The final sausage should be about 6 - 8 inches long. Continue with remaining meat and skewers. Grill over medium heat, turning once, until browned and cooked through, about 10 – 12 minutes. Serve with the Apricot Tzatziki and warm pita if desired.
Make the Apricot Tzatziki:
Mix everything together in a medium bowl and serve.
If you want to grill pita bread rounds:
Lightly oil the grill racks. Place on the grill over medium heat and barbecue for about 3-4 minutes on each side, brushing with a little olive oil.