Greek Pita “Pizza” Muffins
As a kid of the 1970s, I grew up on pizza muffins! They were my favorite afternoon snack and among the first experiences I had "cooking." I've reworked the concept here using pita bread, fresh tomatoes and feta cheese, a trio made in heaven. This makes for a great snack no matter what time of the day it is.
- 1 round pita bread
- 4-6 whole drained, canned Santorini tomatoes or other small plum tomatoes, drained
- 3 tablespoons crumbled Greek feta
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- Pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin Greek olive oil divided
- Place the pita on a parchment-lined or oiled baking pan and preheat the broiler.
Drizzle or brush the surface of the pita bread with half olive oil. Squish the tomatoes by hand over the surface of the pita.
Sprinkle the feta on top.
Sprinkle the thyme and pepper and broil the pita for 5 to 7 minutes, until golden and the cheese melted.
Remove and serve.