Classic Greek Grilled Lamb Chops
Forget burgers. Go Greek with simple, succulent lamb chops grilled to perfection. A meal for Greek heroes everywhere! You can find more great Greek and Mediterranean grilling recipes in my book, Mediterranean Grilling.
- 4 loin lamb chops about 10 oz. each
- 3 large garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped rosemary
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried savory or oregano
- 1 cup dry red wine
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 lemons cut in half, for garnish
- Sourdough bread for garnish
Trim, rinse and pat dry the lamb chops.
Using a spice grinder or mortar and pestle, pulverize the garlic, rosemary, thyme and oregano or savory. The mixture should be a paste.
Rub the lamb chops all over with the herb and garlic mixture. Place in a single layer in a shallow bowl and pour in the wine and olive oil. Cover and marinate for 2 to 24 hours in the refrigerator. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before grilling.
Light the grill to medium-high according to individual unit directions. Place the lamb chops over direct heat and grill, turning once about halfway through. They will need about 6-8 minutes for rare, 8-10 minutes for medium, 12-15 minutes for well done.