Comfort Pork Chops, Drizzled with Greek Honey-Mustard-Oregano BBQ Sauce
This Greek recipe for grilled pork chops comes with a special barbecue sauce made with Greek honey, extra virgin olive oil and wild, dried Greek oregano. It’s a winner!
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin Greek olive oil
- 1 medium shallot thinly sliced into rings
- 1 large garlic clove cut into think slivers
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon Greek honey
- 1/4 cup Greek red wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons fresh strained orange juice
- 2 teaspoons dried Greek oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Greek sea salt plus more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 bone-in pork rib chops about 12 ounces each
- 1 pound mixed greens of choice either for blanching (such as mustard greens, spinach, dandelions, or chard) or tender greens for salad such as mache
- Extra virgin Greek olive oil for drizzling
Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium non-stick, nonreactive skillet and soften the shallot and garlic, stirring for about three minutes. Add the mustard seeds and stir to combined. Add the honey, vinegar and orange juice. Stir to simmer and thicken for about 5 – 8 minutes. Stir in the oregano and season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
Pound pork chops between 2 layers of plastic wrap to 1/4–1/2" thickness; season with Greek sea salt and pepper. Heat remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large ribbed grill pan or skillet over medium-high.
Cook pork chops, in batches if necessary, until browned and cooked through, about 6 minutes per side. Transfer to a large plate.
If blanching greens, trim them and blanch in ample salted boiling water for about five minutes, until al dente. Serve, as below, with the chops.
Serve the pork chops accompanied by either boiled greens or a greens salad, both drizzled generously with the sauce.