Caldera Chocolate Lava Cake with Vinsanto
This Greek recipe for Chocolate Lava Cake takes its name from the active volcano on Santorini, the Caldera. The Vinsanto wine, one of Greece’s most sumptuous dessert wines, helps this cake…explode with flavor!
- 4 ounces / 120g bittersweet chocolate coarsely chopped, divided
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 2 tablespoons Vinsanto wine divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 6-cup muffin tin with cooking spray or butter.
- In a double boiler, melt 3 ounces / 90 g of the chocolate, stirring. Add 4 ounces / 120 g of the softened butter and whisk to combine. Remove from heat. Cool slightly.
- Alternatively, do this in a microwave: Place 3 ounces / 90 g chocolate and 4 tablespoons butter in a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir, then continue microwaving, if needed, stirring every 15 seconds, until completely melted. Let cool slightly.
- Whisk in 1 tablespoon of the Vinsanto wine, eggs, egg yolk, vanilla and salt. Sift confectioners' sugar, flour and cocoa over the batter and whisk until smooth. Divide the batter evenly among the greased muffin cups.
- Bake the cakes until the edges look dry and puffed but the centers still look soft and gooey, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack until firm, about 2 minutes. Place a cutting board or flat, wide serving platter on top of the pan and invert the cakes out onto it. If they stick, run a knife around and under them to loosen.
- Meanwhile, melt the remaining chocolate in a double boiler and whisk in the butter and wine. Or do this in a microwave: heat the remaining 1 ounce / 28 g chocolate and 1 tablespoon butter in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir, then continue microwaving, if needed, stirring every 15 seconds, until completely melted. Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon wine.
- Using a thin spatula, transfer the cakes to serving plates. Drizzle the cakes with the chocolate sauce, about 1 teaspoon each. Serve warm.
- Serve with Vinsanto wine.