Spiced Vinsanto-Kalamata Fig Parfaits with Whipped Cream and Greek Yogurt
Dried fruit, such as famed Greek figs, and the sumptuous dessert wine from Santorini, Vinsanto, combine in this easy Greek recipe for a perfect end to any meal.
- 20 Sun-dried Kalamata figs
- 3 cups Vinsanto wine
- Water as needed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 10 black peppercorns
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup ground walnuts
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- 1 – 3 tablespoons fresh strained orange juice
- 2 cups Greek yogurt
- 1 cup heavy cream whipped to stiff peaks
- 1 tablespoon confectioner’s sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vinsanto
- Place the figs in a medium saucepan and pour in the wine. Add water if necessary so that the liquid covers the figs. Bring to a gentle simmer. Add the cinnamon stick, peppercorns, vanilla and pinch of salt. Simmer, partially covered, for about 20 – 30 minutes, until the figs are plump and soft and the wine thick and syrupy. Set aside to cool.
- Combine the walnuts, cinnamon powder, orange zest and enough of the fresh orange juice to form a moist, crumbly mixture.
- Whip the cream to stiff peaks in an electric mixer outfitted with a whisk attachment. Add 1 tablespoon of confectioner’s sugar and the Vinsanto about half way through whipping. Fold the whipped cream unto the yogurt.
- Place 3 tablespoons of the yogurt-cream mixture on bottom of four glass serving cups. Add a little of walnut mixture, then the fig mixture and juices. Top with more of the cream mixture, then more walnuts and figs, building each glass cup in layers. Garnish with fresh mint and serve immediately.
Serve with Vinanto