Walnut Skordalia - Garlic Dip
This hearty, earthy skordalia, made dark with the addition of walnuts and red wine vinegar, is especially pungent. It is delicious with boiled or roasted beets.
- 1 – 2 pita bread rounds dampened under the tap and squeezed dry
- 2 hot boiled potatoes quartered
- 1 cup coarsely ground walnuts
- 7 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup/120 to 180 ml extra-virgin Greek olive oil
- 2 tablespoons/30 ml fresh strained lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons/30 ml red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Fish stock
- Dampen the pita bread under the tap and squeeze dry very well in the palms of your hands.
- Pound the garlic, walnuts, and a little salt in the mortar with the pestle and add the bread or hot potatoes, a few pieces at a time. Continue pounding, drizzling in the olive oil, lemon juice, and vinegar to form a thick, mealy paste. Add the remaining bread and/or potato as you go. Either serve at room temperature or chilled.