Shrimp with Retsina, Lemon, Pepper, and Coriander
Greece in the summer is about being outside, under a hot sun, near the water, sea salt spraying on the breeze and seafood sizzling nearby. The quaff of choice is often a glass of milky-white ouzo on ice, the perfect foil to smoky seafood. This simple grilled shrimp dish is flavored with Greece’s national spirit.
- 2 pounds/900 g large shrimp
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon coriander seeds
- Grated zest of one lemon
- 1 garlic clove minced
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup fresh strained lemon juice
- ½ cup retsina
- Devein the shrimp but leave the shells and tails intact.
- Using a mortar and pestle, crush the peppercorns, coriander seeds, lemon zest, garlic, and salt. Whisk or shake together the lemon juice, ouzo, and spice mixture. Place the shrimp in a stainless steel bowl, pour the marinade over them, toss well, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or up to three hours.
- Heat a grill pan or preheat the broiler or grill.
- If using a grill pan, brush lightly with olive oil and place the shrimp in the pan, using kitchen tongs to do so. Sear for about 4 minutes per side, turning carefully, until bright pink and tender. Remove and serve.
- If using a broiler or barbecue, thread four shrimp each onto four 8-inch metal skewers. Thread the shrimp through at their thickest point, near the upper part of their body. Grill for about 4 minutes on each side, or until the shells turn bright red. Remove and serve, either on the skewers or off.