Super Food Cabbage Salad
Greek recipes for Greek salads abound and they aren’t all the tomato-cucumber-feta trio! Here is one great salad recipe that calls for Greek superfoods such as dried figs, Kalamata olives, and, of course, extra virgin Greek olive oil, all mingled with a mountain of cabbages, carrots, herbs and seeds. I enjoyed this inspirational salad with one of the most inspiring people I know, the athlete and ultra marathoner Dean Karnazes.
- ½ small head green cabbage rinsed
- ¼ small head red cabbage rinsed
- 2 large carrots peeled
- 1 pomegranate
- 4 Greek dried figs finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons toasted sunflower seeds
- 3 tablespoons chopped pitted green or Kalamata olives
- ½ cup chopped fresh dill
- Coarsely grate the cabbages one at a time using the grating attachment in a food processor, or by hand. Peel and coarsely grate the carrots. Place the cabbages and carrots in a large mixing bowl.
- Halve the pomegranate across the middle (not from the crown to root part), Hold it open side down in the palm of one hand and with a heavy soup spoon bang out the arils into the bowl. Add the figs.
- Lightly toast the sunflower seeds in a dry skillet for a minute or so, and add them to the bowl, together with the chopped olives and dill.
- Whisk together all the ingredients for the dressing and mix into the salad. Toss and serve.