Spinach Salad with Olives & Chestnuts or Pine Nuts
A great winter side dish that pairs well with all manner of proteins. To find the olive oil and olives that round out the flavors in this easy, delicious recipe go to my online store here.
- 2 tbsp. pine nuts or 6 chestnuts cooked, shelled and halved
- 10 oz./ 300 gr. Baby spinach washed, drained and trimmed
- 1 red onion peeled, halved, and cut into paper thin slices
- 1 ½ cups cherry tomatoes rinsed and halved lengthwise
- 5 oz./150 gr. Manouri or pressed ricotta salata
- 24 Thassos Halkidiki or other wrinkled black or brown
- For the dressing
- 1 / 3 cup extra-virgin Greek olive oil
- 2 tsp. sherry vinegar
- 2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp. grainy Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. Greek honey
- ½ tsp orange zest
- 1. Roast the pine nuts in a dry nonstick pan over low heat for a few minutes, stirring constantly, until lightly browned. Remove and set aside. If using chestnuts, roast or boil and shell.
- 2. Place the spinach in a bowl. Top with the onion, cherry tomatoes, manouri, olives, and pine nuts or chestnuts.
- 3. Whisk together all the ingredients for the dressing. Mix into the salad and serve.