Marinated Spiced Carrot Salad
This salad is so somple, yet so startlinglyelegant, it makes a great addition to festive tables and weeknight dinners alike. Real Greek pistachios and authentic Greek olive oil with make this salad even more delicious. To find both, go to my online store here.
- 8 large carrots
- 1 small clove garlic chopped
- 4 tbsp. Aegina or other pistachios coarsely chopped
- 4 tbsp. dark raisins seedless
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. cumin powder
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper or more, preferably
- 1 / 3 cups extra-virgin Greek olive oil
- Juice and zest of 1 orange
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint or cilantro
1. Peel, wash, and coarsely grate the carrots.
2. Mix together the grated carrots, garlic, pistachios, raisins, cinnamon, cumin, cayenne, olive oil, lemon juice, orange zest, salt, and pepper. Cover the bowl and let the mixture stand for 1 hour at room temperature or refrigerated up to 8 hours.
3. Just before serving the salad, add the mint or coriander. Toss and serve.