Spicy Shrimp with Feta, Ouzo and Cilantro
Here's an adaptation of a Greek classic, spruced up with aromatic cilantro and spicy peppers. To find some of the artisinal Greek products you'll need to make this, visit my online shop here, where you'll discover a host of lovingly curated Greek ingredients.
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin Greek olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 fresh chile pepper seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 16 large shrimp cleaned
- 1/2 cup good-quality canned chopped plum tomatoes
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 1 cup crumbled Greek feta cheese
- 1/3 cup ouzo
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
Heat the oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Sweat the onions, chile pepper and garlic, but do not brown. Add the shrimp and cook for 1 minute to color lightly.
Add the tomatoes and feta and stir gently. Add the lemon zest and ouzo. Simmer until you've cooked off the alcohol, 5 to 8 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Garnish with pepper and a little chopped cilantro and serve.