Crispy Okra Greek Salad
Here's a new take on a classic Greek salad. To find some of the artisinal Greek products you'll need to make this, visit my online shop here, where you'll discover a host of lovingly curated Greek ingredients.
- 1 cup fresh okra trimmed and cut into 1/-8-inch strips
- ½ cup semolina flour
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- Salt pepper to taste
- Oil for frying
- 4 fresh firm, ripe tomatoes, cored, halved and sliced into thin strips
- 1 red onion halved and sliced into thin strips
- 2/3 cup Greek feta crumbled
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Extra virgin olive oil to dress the salad
Combine the semolina, all-purpose flour, salt and pepper in a bowl. Toss the okra strips in the flour mixture.
Heat 1 inch / 2.5 cm olive or other oil in a heavy frying pan. The oil should be hot.
Shake off the excess flour from the okra and fry in two batches in the hot oil until crisp and lightly browned. Alternatively, you can oven-fry the okra by lightly oiling the strips, dusting with flour and spreading on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Bake at 375F/180C until crisp.
Toss the tomatoes, onion, crumbled feta, salt, pepper, cilantro and okra together. Drizzle lightly with olive oil and serve.