Crispy Okra Greek Salad
Here's a new take on a classic Greek salad.
- 1 cup fresh okra, trimmed and cut into 1/-8-inch strips
- ½ cup semolina flour
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- Salt, pepper to taste
- Oil for frying
- 4 fresh, firm, ripe tomatoes, cored, halved and sliced into thin strips
- 1 red onion, halved and sliced into thin strips
- 2/3 cup Greek feta, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Extra virgin olive oil to dress the salad
- Combine the semolina, all-purpose flour, salt and pepper in a bowl. Toss the okra strips in the flour mixture.
- Heat 1 inch / 2.5 cm olive or other oil in a heavy frying pan. The oil should be hot.
- Shake off the excess flour from the okra and fry in two batches in the hot oil until crisp and lightly browned. Alternatively, you can oven-fry the okra by lightly oiling the strips, dusting with flour and spreading on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Bake at 375F/180C until crisp.
- Toss the tomatoes, onion, crumbled feta, salt, pepper, cilantro and okra together. Drizzle lightly with olive oil and serve.
Greek Food - Greek Cooking - Greek Recipes by Diane Kochilas //www.dianekochilas.com/