Spetsofai, Sausage and Peppers
One of the all-time classics of the Greek regional kitchen, mainly from the area of Mt. Pelion. Who doesn't love sausages and peppers! To find some of the artisinal Greek products you'll need to make this, visit my online shop here, where you'll discover a host of lovingly curated Greek ingredients.
- 1 ½ pounds fresh pork or beef sausage cut into 1-inch/2.5 cm chunks
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin Greek olive oil
- 1 large red onion halved and sliced
- 3 garlic cloves
- 6 green bell peppers seeded and cut into 1-inch strips
- 3 red Florina peppers in brine rinsed, drained and cut into strips
- 4 pickled pepperoncini peppers
- 1 - 3 pickled fresh or dried chili peppers, to taste
- ½ c white wine
- 2 cups chopped canned tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Salt pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 heaping teaspoon dried Greek oregano
- In a large wide pot or deep frying pan over medium-high heat, sear the sausage pieces until nicely browned. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain off the rendered fat.
- In the same pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large, wide pot and sauté the onions until lightly browned. Stir in the garlic and cook for a few minutes to soften. Add the bell pepper strips and cook, stirring gently, until they begin to soften. Add the red peppers, pepperoncini and pickled peppers. Stir for a few minutes.
- Add the sausage back to the pan and stir to combine. Pour in the wine. As soon as the alcohol cooks off, add the tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, pepper and bay leaves, Cover and simmer for about 25 minutes, or until sausage is thoroughly cooked and peppers tender. Adjust seasoning for salt and pepper and add the oregano a few minutes before removing from heat.
- Serve hot.
Go to my online Greek specialty food shop for a range of traditional and artisanal delicacies from all over Greece.