Smyrna Style Cod Fritters
This is one of the most classic ways to prepare salt cod in the Greek kitchen.
- 1 pound salt cod fillets desalted*
- 1 ½ cups chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- ¾ -1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper preferably
- Olive oil or vegetable oil for frying
- Skordalia as an accompaniment
Once the cod is desalted, blanch it in boiling water for about 3 minutes. Remove, cool, and shred.
In a mixing bowl together stir together the parsley, onion and egg. Add ¾ cup flour and baking soda and stir. Mix in the cod. Season to taste with salt and pepper. The mixture will look like a chunky batter.
Heat about 3 inches / 7 ½ cm of oil in a heavy saucepan until just below the smoking point. Take a tablespoon at a time of the croquettes and fry until golden and crisp. Remove and drain on paper towels. Repeat until all the batter is used up. Serve hot with skordalia.