Santorini Caper Topping (Kaparokoumba)
This classic caper topping is a signature dish of Santorini and nearby Therasia, but the combination of capers and fava is savored all over the Cyclades.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin Greek olive oil
- 3 scallions or 1 medium onion coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes soaked in a little warm water
- ½ cup grated fresh tomato or more, to taste
- 2-4 tablespoons capers rinsed and drained or sun-dried capers, soaked in water
- 3 tablespoons red wine or Santorini aged Assyrtico vinegar
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet and sauté the scallions or onion until soft and lightly browned. Add the garlic, toss and cook, about a minute. Add the sun-dried tomatoes and their juices and let the juice cook off a bit.
- Add the fresh tomato and cook until slightly thickened. Add the capers, toss. Finish off with vinegar. Use this as a topping for fava or as a bed for the favokeftedes, and drizzle with a little raw extra virgin olive oil.
Go to my online Greek specialty food shop for a range of traditional and artisanal delicacies from all over Greece.