Bertes me Capari (Tomato Paste-Caper Dip) on Bruschetta
The simplest of dishes like this one, which is essentially nothing more than tomato paste mixed with capers and olive oil, rely on the best ingredients. In this case, the tomato products and capers from the volcanic terroire of Santorini, one of Greece’s most unique islands and major tourist destinations.
- 2 – 4 thick wedges of good bread
- 2 - 4 tablespoons extra virgin Greek olive oil as needed
- ½ cup good quality tomato paste such as Santorini tomato paste
- ¼ cup Santorini capers rinsed, drained and chopped
- Cut the bread into oval wedges about an inch (2/5-cm) thick. Brush both surfaces with olive oil. Heat a ridged nonstick grill pan and drizzle in a little olive oil. Grill the bread slices on both sides until crisp and lightly browned.
- As the bread is grilling, make the bertes: In a small bowl, mix the tomato paste, 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the capers. If it’s too dense, add remaining olive oil. Spread onto the bruschetta and enjoy!