Roasted Pepper, Mastiha and Feta Spread
The Greek recipe for a tangy dip is based on some of the most authentic, regional, and ancient Greek ingredients, such as mastiha Chiou, Florina red peppers, and extra virgin Greek olive oil. Serve it with Greek paximadia or crisp raw vegetables.
- 3-4 Τbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 jar of roasted red peppers “filotopiperia” drained and chopped, or 6 large red long or bell peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded, and coarsely chopped, or 6 roasted red peppers in olive oil, drained and chopped
- 1 cups crumbled Greek feta
- ½ cup cream cheese ricotta or Greek anthotyro
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- Smoked Greek sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon mastiha crystals pounded in a mortar with a half teaspoon of salt
- (or half a teaspoon of powdered mastiha )
- Combine all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse on and off until the mixture becomes a dense, velvety spread.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and refrigerate for 1 hour or up to 2 days. Serve with fresh vegetables such as cauliflower florets, Belgian endive leaves, or celery sticks, or with earthy Greek paximadia (rusks).