Rice Pudding with Greek Yogurt & Peaches
Greek yogurt and peaches combine to make this rice pudding a perfect summer treat. This dessert screams out for Greek herbal tea (hot or on ice) and a swirl o f delicious Greek honey. You can find both at my online store here.
- 3 cups of water
- 1 cup short-grain rice or Greek glacé rice
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup soumada Greek almond syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 8 Greek almond cookies amygdalota, amaretti or almond macaroons, crumbled,
- 3 cups fresh sliced peaches
- 3 tablespoons of Greek honey
- Or 3 cups canned Greek peaches drained
- Cinnamon to taste
For rice pudding
- Bring 3 cups water to boil in heavy medium saucepan. Add rice; reduce heat to medium and simmer uncovered until very tender, about 18 minutes.
- Whisk 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, eggs, egg yolks, cornstarch, and vanilla and almond extracts in large bowl to combine. Bring whole milk, soumada, remaining 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, and salt to boil in heavy medium saucepan.
- Pour over sugar-egg mixture, whisking constantly. Strain mixture back into saucepan and bring to boil over medium heat. Whisk gently until slightly thickened. Remove from heat. Fold in cooked rice, cream and yogurt. Pour into a bowl and refrigerate, covered, for four hours.
- Fill 8 - 10 wine glasses or other glass cups half way with the rice pudding. Spread some crumbled cookies, peaches and a little cinnamon over that. Fill each of the glasses to the brim with rice pudding and garnish again with peaches, crumbled cookies and cinnamon. Serve.