Revithosalata - Quinoa-Chickpea Salad
- ½ cup (120 ml) extra-virgin Greek olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 or 4 fresh oregano sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 10 whole black peppercorns
- 1 cup (170 g) dried quinoa, rinsed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 red onion diced
- 1 small fennel bulb diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 15 cherry or teardrop tomatoes halved
- 1½ cups (240 g) cooked chickpeas (good-quality canned are fine)
- ½ cup (25 g) any chopped fresh herbs of your choice (basil, mint, oregano, parsley, cilantro, dill, fennel fronds)
- ½ cup pitted chopped kalamata or wrinkled black olives
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup diced feta optional
Place the quinoa in a medium saucepan and add water to cover by 1 ½ - 2 inches. Add the bay leaves. Bring to a gentle boil, salt the water lightly, and cook, covered, for about 15 minutes, until tender and popped. Drain any excess liquid and remove the bay leaves.
While the quinoa is cooking, in a medium skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, fennel, and garlic and cook, stirring, until soft.
Combine the quinoa, onion-fennel mixture, tomatoes, chickpeas, olives, and herbs in a bowl. Gently stir in the feta, if using.
Season with the lemon zest and salt and pepper to taste. Whisk together the remaining olive oil and vinegar, add to the salad and serve.
Want to learn more easy, healthy Mediterranean diet recipes? Sign up for my online course “Mastering the Mediterranean!“
You can add 2 cups (500 ml) of any cooked seafood of your choice, such as calamari, shelled mussels, or shrimp, or any combination thereof.