Salatouri - Skate Salad
Skate is an often misunderstood fish because it’s a bit hard to clean. But its flesh is surprisingly delicate and this Greek salad, a classic regional Greek recipe from Paros and other islands in the Cyclades, is a great way to enjoy it.
- 1 large red onion quartered
- 2 - 3 bay leaves
- 10 black peppercorns
- Salt to taste
- 1 piece of fresh skate about 1 pound
- 3 scallions trimmed and chopped
- 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley trimmed and chopped
- Fresh strained juice of 1 lemon
- Extra virgin Greek olive oil to taste
- Place half the onion, bay leaves, peppercorns, salt and skate (cut into chunks if needed) in a small saucepan and simmer until the skate is tender and translucent. Remove the fish and set it aside to cool. Shred it, removing its tender flesh from the cartilage like “bones.”
- Chop the other half of the onion. Combine the cleaned skate with the onion, scallion, parsley, lemon juice, olive oil and a little salt and pepper and serve.