Fish Baked with Okra / Psari me Bamies
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh okra
- 1 1/4 cups red wine vinegar
- 2-3 pounds sea bream sea bass or snapper, gutted and scaled
- Strained juice of 1 lemon
- Salt pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 medium onions quartered and sliced thin
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 8-10 plum tomatoes peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped
- 1 bunch dill chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1. Trim the okra: remove the tough upper rims and a bit of the stems. Rinse, drain, and marinate in the vinegar for 30 minutes.
- 2. Season fish inside and out with lemon juice, salt and pepper. Let stand, covered, for one hour.
- 3. In a large pot, heat the olive oil, and sweat the onions. Add garlic, then okra, stirring gently to combine. Pour in tomatoes and wine. Cover pot and simmer for 35-40 minutes, over medium-low heat, until okra is tender but al dente.
- 4. In a baking pan large enough to hold the okra and fish, spread half the okra evenly on bottom. Place fish over it, and spread remaining okra around and over fish. bake, covered, until fish is flaky, about 25 minutes. Serve hot.
Variation I: A similar dish, which is another classic summer preparation, may be prepared as a stovetop casserole with salt cod. Soak a two-pound filet of salt cod for 36-48 hours, changing the water frequently. Prepare the okra as above. About 20 minutes before the okra is cooked, add the saltcod and cut up into three inch pieces.
You may also use frozen okra in this dish. Defrost in the refrigerator overnight before using.