Pita Kaisarias in Phyllo Cups
Traditional pita kaisarias is a seductive combination of spicy pasturma, a cured beef seasoned with fenugreek and other spices, tomatoes and mild kasseri cheese all wrapped between flaky layers of buttery phyllo. I've made a quick version of this delicious meze, using prepared phyllo cups and the same filling. It's a great party dish or easy appetizer!
- ½ c melted unsalted butter
- 24 Pre-baked phyllo cups
- 2 cups grated kasseri cheese
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 12 thin slices pasturma spice rub removed, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350/170F.
Lightly oil a 13 X 9 X 2 -inch baking pan.
Place the phyllo cups on the pan.
Brush each with melted butter.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the grated kasseri, chopped tomatoes, and pasturma. Season with salt and pepper. Fill the phyllo cups about with the mixture and bake until golden, about 12 minutes.
- Remove, cool slightly and serve.