Ouzo-Seared Sausages with Tomatoes and Halloumi
This quick, easy Greek recipe for seared sausages calls for ouzo, which gives the final dish a lovely, refreshing flavor. The chile pepper, tomatoes and fresh Greek oregano bring it all together, but the final touch, of course, are the cubes of halloumi cheese, which barelysart to melt just as the dish is ready to be served.
- 2 large pork or beef sausage links cut into ¼-inch slices (about 2 cups total)
- 3 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 2 cups whole teardrop tomatoes
- 1 whole small chile pepper
- ¼ cup ouzo
- 1 ½ cups halloumi cubes about ½-inch/.75-cm each
- 4-5 sprigs fresh oregano
- Salt pepper to taste
- In a large skillet over medium heat, sear the sausage slices, turning. As they begin to brown, stir in the garlic.
- Next, add the tomatoes and chile pepper and shuffle the pan back and forth over the flame to toss.
- Carefully add the ouzo. As soon as it steams up, reduce heat and cover pan. Cook for about 8 minutes, then add the halloumi.
- Cover again and continue cooking for another five minutes or so, just until the halloumi starts to melt. Remove and serve.