Melitzanosalata Me Kapari Kai Kremmydia (Roasted Eggplant Salad With Capers And Onions)
If you can roast the eggplants for this classic Greek dip on a barbecue, then do! The smokey flavor will only make this already delicious spread even better. To find some of the artisinal Greek products you'll need to make this, visit my online shop here, where you'll discover a host of lovingly curated Greek ingredients.
- 3 large eggplants
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch of sugar if needed
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic pressed through a garlic crusher or minced
- 1/4 cup small pickled capers rinsed and drained
- 1 large firm tomato diced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons greek balsamic
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Wash and pat dry the eggplants. Roast them whole over an open flame on the stove or under the broiler, turning, until the skins are charred on all sides. (This may also be done on a barbecue.) Remove and cool slightly.
Have a bowl ready with the olive oil. Cut the eggplants open lengthwise and remove as many of the seeds as possible. Scoop out the pulp and place it in the bowl with the olive oil. Salt lightly. With a fork and knife, cut the eggplant so that it is chunky. Add the onion, garlic, capers, tomato and parsley and mix with a fork to combine well. Add the vinegar, and adjust seasoning with additional salt, pepper and vinegar if desired.