Kayianas - Scrambled Eggs with Tomatoes and Olives
Everyone loves a great scrambled egg dish and Kayianas is just that! A Peloponnese classic, I've added my own little twist with a sprinkling of Kalamata olives in the filling. To find some of the artisinal Greek products you'll need to make this, visit my online shop here, where you'll discover a host of lovingly curated Greek ingredients.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin Greek olive oil
- 4 plum ripe tomatoes peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 garlic clove optional finely chopped
- ½ cup pitted chopped Kalamata olives
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh mint or oregano
- ⅓ cup crumbled Greek feta
- ¼ cup grated Greek kefalotyri cheese
- Parsley for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add tomatoes, garlic, and olives and simmer for 5 - 7 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon, until most of the tomato juices have evaporated.
In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, mint or oregano, and cheeses. Pour egg mixture into skillet and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon for 3 to 5 minutes, or to desired doneness. Serve warm, garnished with parsley and seasoned with salt and pepper.