Kayianas - Scrambled Eggs with Tomatoes and Olives
Everyone loves a great scrambled egg dish and Kayianas is just that! A Peloponnese classic, I've added my own little twist with a sprinkling of Kalamata olives in the filling. To find some of the artisinal Greek products you'll need to make this, visit my online shop here, where you'll discover a host of lovingly curated Greek ingredients.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin Greek olive oil
- 4 plum ripe tomatoes peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 garlic clove optional finely chopped
- ½ cup pitted chopped Kalamata olives
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh mint or oregano
- ⅓ cup crumbled Greek feta
- ¼ cup grated Greek kefalotyri cheese
- Parsley for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add tomatoes, garlic, and olives and simmer for 5 - 7 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon, until most of the tomato juices have evaporated.
In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, mint or oregano, and cheeses. Pour egg mixture into skillet and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon for 3 to 5 minutes, or to desired doneness. Serve warm, garnished with parsley and seasoned with salt and pepper.
Want to learn more easy, healthy Mediterranean diet recipes? Sign up for my online course “Mastering the Mediterranean!“