Hoirino Me Mapa - Pork and Cabbage Stew
Throughout the Peloponnese, cabbage is referred to colloquially as mapa--mop! This local recipe is made with very few ingredients, but the flavors are complex and absolutely delicious.
- 2-2 1/2 pounds boneless pork cut into stewing pieces
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 large onions peeled and grated
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste diluted in 3 tablespoons water
- 1 small head cabbage
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat half the olive oil in a large stewing pot or Dutch oven and brown the meat. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add the onions to the pot and lower heat. Cover and "steam" in the oil until wilted, about ten minutes. Add the tomato paste and stir.
- Place the meat back in the pot. Season with salt and pepper. Pour in enough water to cover the meat. Cover and simmer for one hour.
- In the meantime, cut the cabbage in half and cut each half into strips about one and a half inches wide. Break apart the leaves, and wash and drain the cabbage thoroughly. Add to the pot and toss to combine thoroughly with the meat. Adjust seasoning with additional salt and pepper. Cover and simmer another 45 minutes or so, until the cabbage and meat are very tender.