It's easy to understand how this class combination of tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, peppers, olives, feta and olive oil make for one of the most iconic dishes in the world. There's a secret to a good Greek salad: Make it in season, when tomatoes are ripest, and use good quality sheep's milk or sheep and goat's milk feta.To find some of the artisinal Greek products you'll need to make this, visit my online shop here, where you'll discover a host of lovingly curated Greek ingredients.
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup teardrop tomatoes
- 1 cup yellow teardrops
- 2 perfect red tomatoes
- 2 black tomatoes
- 1 medium red onion halved and cut into 1/8-in/3-mm slices
- 1 green pepper seeded and cut into rings or crescents
- 4 to 6 pepperoncini
- 1 large cucumber peeled and cut into 1/8-in/3-mm-thick rounds
- 8 to 12 Kalamata olives in brine rinsed and drained
- Coarse salt or sea salt
- 1/3 cup/80 ml extra-virgin Greek olive oil
- 5 oz/140 g Greek feta cut into 1 square piece
- 2 tsp fresh oregano leaves or 1/2 tsp dried Greek oregano
- Halve the cherry and teardrop tomatoes. Cut the red and black tomatoes into wedges.
- Place the tomatoes, green pepper, cucumber, pepperoncini, and onions in a large salad bowl. Add the olives, salt and olive oil. top with a wedge of feta and sprinkle with oregano. Serve.