Fresh Tomato Soup with Bulgur and Extra Virgin Greek Olive Oil
- 1 large onion very finely chopped
- ½ cup extra virgin Greek olive oil
- 8½ cup dry white wine
- 8 ripe fresh tomatoes cores removed, chopped
- 2 cups water or stock
- ½ cup coarse bulgur trahana or pastina
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 teaspoon Greek yogurt per serving
- ½ teaspoon oregano-infused extra virgin olive oil
Heat the olive oil in a medium-size sauce pan and sauté the onions over medium heat until soft and lightly colored. Pour in the wine.
Puree the tomatoes in a food processor. Add them to the pot. Add water or stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 – 12 minutes.
Add the bulgur wheat, trahana or pastina. Continue simmering until the bulgur, trahana or pastina is soft, about 8 -12 minutes.
Stir in the lemon juice.
Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste. Chill for three hours or up to 24.
To serve: Place a ladleful or more of the chilled soup in each serving bowl and top with a dollop or teaspoon of Greek yogurt. Drizzle with oregano-infused olive oil. Serve.