Fasolakia Yiahni (Green Beans in Tomato Sauce)
- 2 pounds / 1 kilo fresh green beans
- ½ c olive oil divided
- 2 large red onions chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 large potatoes peeled and cut into 1 ½ - 2-inch?4 - 5-cm cubes
- 2 1/2 cups canned whole Santorini or other Greek tomatoes
- 1 whole chili pepper optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Feta cheese and good bread for serving
- Wash and drain the beans. Using a paring knife, snap or cut off the tips and remove any stringy fiber along the seams.
- In a large pot over medium heat, warm half the olive oil and cook the onion until translucent. Stir in the garlic. Add the green beans, and toss to coat in the oil. Add the potatoes, chili pepper, tomatoes, salt and pepper. Add enough water to come about a third of the way up the contents of the pot.
Cover and simmer for 45 minutes, or until the beans are tender. Right before removing from the heat, stir in the parsley and adjust seasoning with additional salt and pepper as desired.
Add the remaining olive oil.
Serve with feta and good bread.