Beetroot Napoleon with Spicy Mashed Feta & Aegina Pistachios
Beets and Feta are natural partners in the kitchen. I love the easy elegance and ensuing “wows” this dish inevitably inspires, using some of the most accessible ingredients available. You can buy delicious, crunchy, healthy Aegina pistachios here.
- 2/3 cup roasted unsalted pistachios, preferably from Aegina
- 2/3 cup chopped fresh mint
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- 1 1/2 cups crumbled feta
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup extra virgin Greek olive oil
- 4 roasted or boiled beets
- 1/2 cup extra virgin Greek olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic syrup
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt to taste
- Orange slices fresh mint sprigs and pink peppercorns for garnish
- Coarsely grind the pistachios in a food processor, pulsing on and off. Add the mint, orange zest, crumbled feta, olive oil and pepper, and pulse to combine into a thick paste. Set aside.
- Prepare the dressing: Whisk together the olive oil, balsamic syrup and mustard.
- Peel the beets and cut them into rounds about 1/8-inch/3.2 mm. Place a half teaspoon of the feta mixture in the center of a serving plate. Place a beet round on top. Add a teaspoon of the feta mixture and top with a beet round. Continue until all the slices of the first beet are used up. The stack should end with a beet round. Drizzle with a little dressing, sprinkle with pink peppercorns, garnish with mint and serve. Repeat with remaining beets and feta mixture.