Baked Pears Stuffed With Melomakarona Cookies, Chocolate & Raisins
Can dessert be an easy and stress-free affair? Yes, if we’re talking stuffed baked pears with a Greek twist. You can substitute the melomakarona cookies with biscotti if you like.
- 4 medium pears peeled, halved, and cored.
- 4 - 6 Greek melomakarona cookies or large biscotti crumbled
- 2/3 cup chopped dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup Corinthian currants or dark raisins
- 1 heaping teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Greek honey
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- Butter for pan
- Confectioner’s sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350F/170C. Butter an ovenproof glass or ceramic baking dish large enough to hold the pears snugly. Using a teaspoon hollow out the center of each pear, where the seed bed is, to make an indentation large enough to hold the cookie stuffing.
- In a medium mixing bowl, crumble the melomakarona or biscotti and add the chopped chocolate, raisins, cinnamon, sugar, and honey. Mix in the egg and stir to combine well.
- Place the pears hollowed side up in the buttered baking dish. Fill the pears with the cookie-chocolate mixture, mounding the filling generously over the surface of the pears. Cover and bake for about 30 to 40 minutes, until the pears are tender and lightly golden. Remove, plate and sprinkle with confectioner's sugar. Garnish with fresh mint and serve.