Baked Mediterranean Tuna Salad Spring Rolls
- 3 cups canned albacore tuna in water very well-drained
- 4 scallions trimmed and chopped
- 1 1- inch knob of ginger peeled and finely grated
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 large carrot trimmed and coarsely grated or chopped
- 2 celery stalks trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Santorini or other capers drained and chopped (optional)
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- ½ cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 2 – 4 tablespoons Vrisi 36 extra virgin Greek or other olive oil as needed
- Salt to taste
- 1 pound #7 Fillo Factory fillo defrosted and at room temperature
- Olive oil for brushing
In a mixing bowl, combine the tuna, scallions, ginger, lemon zest, carrot, celery, capers, and herbs. Drizzle in 2 tablespoons of olive oil and add a bit more if the mixture is dry. Taste and season with salt as needed.
Place the fillo sheets in front of you lengthwise on a clean, dry work surface. Cut in half lengthwise and stack. Keep covered with a kitchen towel and place a second lightly dampened kitchen towel on top.
Remove the first sheet and brush with olive oil. Place a second sheet on top. Place a heaping 1 ½ tablespoons of the tuna filling on the bottom of the fillo. Fold the sides in and roll up to form a cylinder. Place seam-side down on the baking sheet. Continue until the filling and fillo are used up. Bake in batches if necessary at 375F for about 12 minutes, or until golden and crisp. Remove, cool slightly and serve, warm or at room temperature.
Serve, if desired, with a small dipping bowl of tzatziki.
You can assemble the rolls ahead of time, place on a sheet pan covered with plastic wrap, then, removing the wrap, bake directly from freezer to oven, for about 20 minutes.