Eggs Baked in Spicy Tomato Sauce
This recipe makes a great brunch or light dinner dish. There are several traditional Greek recipes for baked eggs, coddled in cooked greens, yogurt, or, like this, in tomato sauce. They are all delicious.
- Eggs Baked in Chunky Tomato Sauce
- 3 tablespoons Vrisi 36 extra virgin Greek olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- ½ small fennel bulb, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ½ cups canned or fresh chopped tomatoes, with juices
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ - 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- Pinch of sugar or 1 teaspoon Greek honey
- 2 teaspoons Vrisi 36 Greek balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried Greek oregano
- 4 large eggs, preferably organic
- 2 tablespoons fresh, chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons crumbled Greek feta, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350F / 170C.
- In a large cast-iron skillet or wide, shallow pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and fennel and cook, stirring, until wilted and glistening, about 8 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for about a minute to soften.
- Add the tomatoes. Raise the heat and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat and season with salt and pepper. Add the sugar or honey, oregano, and balsamic. Simmer the sauce for 15 – 20 minutes, or until thick.
- Remove from heat. If using a cast-iron skillet, let the sauce cool down a bit, 10 minutes or so. If you cooked the sauce in a pot, you’ll need to have an oven-proof baking dish handy. Oil it and pour in the sauce.
- Using a spoon, make 4 clearances in the sauce, holes, basically. Carefully break the eggs, one at a time, into each hole. Place the skillet or baking dish in the oven and bake the eggs until set, about 20 – 25 minutes. Remove, sprinkle with parsley and feta, if desired, and serve.
Greek Food - Greek Cooking - Greek Recipes by Diane Kochilas http://www.dianekochilas.com/