Mastiha Spiced Hot Chocolate
Mastiha, Greece's most seductive spice, is pounded and used to flavor classic hot chocolate. I mix in a little Greek honey and cinnamon, too.
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon ground mastic crystals*
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups milk
- ½ cup good quality couverture or dark chocolate
- 2 tablespoons Greek honey
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Place the heavy cream in a small bowl and using an immersion blender outfitted with a whisk, whip it until stiff. Refrigerate immediately.
- Pound the mastic and sugar together in a mortar with a pestle.
- Warm the milk and chocolate together in a small heavy pot, stirring over low flame. Add the honey, cinnamon, and mastic sugar. Stir to warm through.
- Serve the hot chocolate with the whipped cream and enjoy!