Tortellini with Mushrooms & Bacon in Light Yogurt Cream Sauce
There's a lot of talk these days about reducing the consumption of meat and, indeed, rethinking it as a garnish. That's exactly what I did in what would otherwise have been an uber-rich tortellini and cream dish. Greek yogurt helps lighten the burden, too, so to speak, without sacrificing any flavor. To find some of the artisinal Greek products you'll need to make this, visit my online shop here, where you'll discover a host of lovingly curated Greek ingredients.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin Greek olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves cut into thin slivers
- ½ pound button mushrooms trimmed and halved or sliced
- 2 tablespoons Canadian bacon or lean smoked ham
- 1/3 cup white wine
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup light cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 packet of cheese tortellini
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy skillet or shallow, wide pot over low heat and cook the garlic until soft, stirring, for about 4 minutes. Do not brown.
- Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until they start to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the diced bacon or smoked ham and gently stir all together for a few minutes. Add the wine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bring a medium size pot of water to a rolling boil. Season generously with salt and cook the tortellini until al dente. Drain, and reserve a cup of the cooking liquid.
- Toss the tortellini with the mushroom-bacon mixture. Whisk the yogurt, cream, and half a cup of the pasta boiling liquid together in a medium pot over medium-low heat. Mix this into the tortellini and serve immediately. If the yogurt is dense after being mixed into the tortellini, slowly mix in a little more of the remaining pasta liquid.