Spinach, Caramelized Walnuts & Smoked Turkey Salad
Sweet and salty caramelized walnuts are a quick meze on Crete, usually served with local fire water, called raki. I use them here to add flavor and crunch to the salad.
For the caramelized walnuts
- 1 cup whole shelled walnuts
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. sugar
For the dressing
For the salad
- 6 oz. smoked turkey cut into very thin strips
- 1 ¼ pounds baby spinach trimmed
- Seeds from 1 large pomegranate
1. In a nonstick skillet over low flame, cook the walnuts and salt for 5 to 6 minutes until the nuts start to get a little oily. Add sugar and stir for 6 to 7 more minutes until caramelized. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
2. Whisk together the mustard, garlic and vinegar. Drizzle in the oil, whisking all the whole. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Mix the turkey with a bit of the dressing. Mix spinach with remaining dressing and a little salt and pepper. Place spinach on 4 plates, with the turkey on top. Garnish with pomegranate.