Spinach, Caramelized Walnuts & Smoked Turkey Salad
Sweet and salty caramelized walnuts are a quick meze on Crete, usually served with local fire water, called raki. I use them here to add flavor and crunch to the salad.
For the caramelized walnuts
- 1 cup whole shelled walnuts
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. sugar
For the dressing
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp. chopped garlic
- 4 tbsp vinegar
- 2 / 3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the salad
- 6 oz. smoked turkey cut into very thin strips
- 1 ¼ pounds baby spinach trimmed
- Seeds from 1 large pomegranate
- 1. In a nonstick skillet over low flame, cook the walnuts and salt for 5 to 6 minutes until the nuts start to get a little oily. Add sugar and stir for 6 to 7 more minutes until caramelized. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- 2. Whisk together the mustard, garlic and vinegar. Drizzle in the oil, whisking all the whole. Season with salt and pepper.
- 3. Mix the turkey with a bit of the dressing. Mix spinach with remaining dressing and a little salt and pepper. Place spinach on 4 plates, with the turkey on top. Garnish with pomegranate.