Spicy Chick Peas / Pikantika Revithia
- 1 /2 lb. / 250 g dried peeled chickpeas
- ½ cup extra virgin Greek olive oil
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- ½ tsp. cumin powder
- ½ tsp. turmeric powder
- ½ tsp. cayenne
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice plus grated zest of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp. finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley or cilantro
Place the chickpeas in a large pot with ample cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to low and simmer for about 1 – 1 ½ hours, or until tender. Remove from heat and drain.
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat and sauté the onion and garlic until soft. Add the spices to the pan and stir all together for a few minutes.
You can find peeled chickpeas in Greek markets all over North America and Europe. You can also use regular dried chickpeas for this dish, but they will need to soak for 8 hours before you boil them and the boiling time is longer.