Spicy Carrot-Greek Yogurt Spread
Here's a great, easy dip that's a take on traditional tzatziki in that it has a Greek yogurt base. To find some of the artisinal Greek products you'll need to make this, visit my online shop here, where you'll discover a host of lovingly curated Greek ingredients.
- Spicy Carrot-Greek Yogurt Dip
- 4 tablespoons Greek extra virgin olive oil
- 4 large carrots preferably organic, peeled and chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves crushed
- 1 knob of ginger 1 ½-inchs / 4 cm long, peeled and grated or finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin or more to taste
- ½ teaspoon curry or more, to taste
- ½ teaspoon turmeric or more, to taste
- ½ teaspoon cayenne or hot paprika or more, to taste
- ½ teaspoon grated orange zest preferably from an organic orange
- 2 cups Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or balsamic vinegar
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and cook the carrots, stirring, until soft and glistening, about 10 – 12 minutes. About 8 minutes into cooking them, add the garlic and ginger and stir to soften. Add the spices and cook gently to help release their aromas.
Remove from heat, stir in grated orange zest and cool slightly.
Transfer the carrot mixture to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until the carrots are a smooth puree. Add the Greek yogurt, remaining olive oil, lemon juice or balsamic and pulse to combine. Remove and serve.