Simple Trahana Soup with Spiced Red Pepper Puree, Greek Feta and Olive Oil
- ½ cup extra virgin Greek olive oil plus more for drizzling
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 heaping tablespoon Greek garlic puree
- 1 ½ cups sour trahana
- 6 to 8 cups water or vegetable stock or a combination of the two
- Greek sea salt to taste
- Strained fresh juice of 1/2 to 1 lemon to taste
- 4 heaping teaspoons Piperoktima Greek red pepper puree
- 4 tablespoons crumbled Greek feta
- Oregano sprigs for garnish
Heat the olive oil in a medium pot over medium heat and add the onion. Cook until soft and lightly golden, about 6 to 7 minutes.
Add the trahana and stir to coat in the oil. Stir in the garlic puree.
Pour in the water or stock and bring the trahana to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook the trahana until creamy and tender, about 12 to 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and lemon juice.
Serve hot in individual bowls with a dollop of the red pepper spread and a sprinkling of crumbled feta. Drizzle with more extra virgin Greek olive oil and garnish with fresh oregano sprigs.
Want to learn more about Ikaria Longevity Cooking? Sign up for my online class bundle “Everything Ikaria 101!“
Want to learn more easy, healthy Mediterranean diet recipes? Sign up for my online course “Mastering the Mediterranean!“
Love soup? Check out my online class “Comfort in a Soup Bowl!”