Shaved Raw Zucchini Salad with Mastiha-Lemon Vinaigrette
One of my favorite things to eat in the summer is raw zucchini salad. It's so easy and so elegant. Just shave the zucchini and toss with herbs, tomatoes and a great Greek vinaigrette with excellent Greek olive oil and Greek mustard and a pinch of mastiha. To find some of the artisinal Greek products you'll need to make this, visit my online shop here, where you'll discover a host of lovingly curated Greek ingredients. .
- 2 pounds / I kilo zucchini
- 1 ½ cups cherry or teardrop tomatoes halved lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon Greek mustard or other mustard
- 1 teaspoon mastiha crystals
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons fresh strained lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint or basil
- ½ cup extra virgin Greek olive oil
- Pepper and additional salt to taste
Trim the root and stem end from the zucchini and discard.
Using a vegetable peeler, shave the zucchini into strips until nothing but the seed bed is left, which you should discard.
Place the zucchini and tomatoes in a serving bowl.
Using a mortar and pestle, pulverize the mastiha crystals and half teaspoon of salt to a fine powder.
Whisk together the lemon juice, mustard, olive oil and herbs until emulsified and creamy. Stir in the mastiha-salt mixture. Adjust taste with additional salt. Pour over the zucchini-tomato mixture and toss gently to combine. Serve immediately.